Safe trailer towing, tow vehicle, 5th wheel towing, towing caravans
We have vehicles, trailers, luggage, furniture and other households
in our house. We need towing today or some other day. We have to shift
our house due to our transfers or for other reasons. We may need to tow
our boat, horse box or a caravan. While hauling our luggage to the new
place, we need to be much careful. Here are some rules related to towing:
• Your maximum speed should be 50 mph on single carriageway road and 60
mph on dual carriageway road while towing a trailer. There should be no
lower speed limit. While towing you should not use outside lane of three
or four lane motorway unless you are permitted by the police.
• For towing a small trailer with no brakes, the weight limit for the
trailer is 50% of the curb weight of the towing car. Its maximum limit
is 750 kg.
• For larger trailers with brakes fitted in it, the maximum weight limit
is 85% of the curb weight of the towing vehicle.
• You should be careful to your vehicle’s tow rating. You should also
add weight of passengers, luggage and other items on the trailer or caravan,
while considering about the tow vehicle.
What you should check before towing?
Here is a list of checkpoints before towing:
1. Your trailer should be well serviced and well maintained before it
is used for towing. It should not have been left un-serviced for the years
before you take it on the roads with your heavy luggage on it.
2. You should check whether your trailer’s braking system is well in working
3. Check inflation of tires of your trailer. It should be according to
4. Your trailer’s brakes may have a problem. The brake cables may have
seized due to their idleness. It may result in over heating of the wheel
bearings or even brakes binding. Your trailer’s wheel may part with completely
from your trailer in this condition.
5. The condition of tires should be satisfactory and in good working condition.
6. You should use special extended door mirrors while towing a large trailer
with its elevated sides. The both sides of you tow vehicle and trailer
should be clearly visible while you are on the road.
7. You should know that your vehicle and loaded trailer towed with it
will take some time to stop after applying the brakes.
8. You should also check electrical wiring system and its head light bulbs
or tubes etc. You may have to continue your towing trip during nights
These were some basic tips/guidelines about towing safely. In our next
article we will discuss some more important aspects on the subject. These
may be much useful in making your towing expedition a success.